Thursday, December 18, 2008

Mary

I was thinking today about Christmas, you know its only one week away( can you believe it, where did this year go)
I was thinking about that special day coming up in a week and my mind went to Mary, how was she feeling right about now, Was she feeling like I did a week away from delivery, tired, scared(with the first one), anxious, joyful. I know this may not make sense to anyone else but some days this is how my mind works, I try to imagine how life was for people in different times, I think that's I why I love to read historic books, I love getting a glimpse into what lives might have been like for other people in other ages of time. But back to my subject, How do you think Mary was feeling?
I think she must have some of the same feelings I did about the whole labor and delivery bit, But I would think she would have felt a greater responsibility, I mean she was bringing the Son of God into this world, the Greatest gift given to mankind, Surely that would have brought with it, its own bit of anxiety. I believe that Mary had all faith in God and in what was taking place, I'm just wondering how she felt is all, what was going through her mind, What did her days look like? And Joesph what was he thinking, and feeling? We know that from reading in the scripture that Mary was scared when the angel first appeared to her, he told her to fear not, and we also know that she didn't really understand at first what was taking place, but after listening to what the angel had to say She was totally obedient to what God wanted for her. I also read that Mary rejoiced in God, for this great thing, I have to believe that she was excited and happy. After Jesus birth, Verse 19 in Like ch.2 Says " But Mary kept all these things, and pondered them in her heart. " Just makes me wonder what she was feeling.
I know I probably think to much sometimes, I have been told this before, but I can't help but wonder at these things. It is so marvelous to me this time year, just what all Christs coming meant, How did the people feel and react, We have several accounts in the bible of peoples reactions and how that some were exceedingly happy, while others wanted Him dead, but I'm talking about those exact moments, days, a week before His birth, what did it feel like to be a part of something so magnificent. I know that for me even today, I feel like my cup runneth over with Joy at this great miracle of Christmas, How that God sent His only Son to be my Saviour, My Redeemer, My Lord, What a gift to receive!!!! How that all things, from the beginning of time worked up to this moment, every minuet detail fell into place, every little thing... I am probably just rambling on, and for this I apologize, I wish I could put into words exactly how I feel this Christmas. I just feel so filled with Joy and Anticipation, for a coming Saviour, much like I think Mary felt, only I'm not looking in a manger for a baby I'm looking to the skys, for a coming King!!
Drop me a line and let me know your feeling on this, I would really like to know how you think Mary felt at this same time so many years ago.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Love this. I think like this too. We have been reading about Mary and Joseph in our past two advent readings so they have been on my mind as well. It must have been such a roller coaster ride...

Della said...

I think sometimes people really fail to remember that Mary , though chosen to do something extraordinary, was human. Just like us. This goes along with the humble beginnings of our Savior. Absolutely I think she must have been scared, unsure of the task that lay ahead, the huge responsiblity put on her. But you hit it, she had faith in the promises God had made her and our faith will conquer all fear. You're not the only one who thinks like this sometimes...