Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Quote of the Week!!

Alexander Maclaren (1826-1910):
“In such a world as this, with such hearts as ours, weakness is wickedness in the long run. Whoever lets himself be shaped and guided by any thing lower than an inflexible will, fixed in obedience to God, will in the end be shaped into a deformity, and guided to wreck and ruin.”
I read this quote yesterday as I was browsing around on the computer and was just wowed!!! I mean how true it is. "weakness is wickedness in the long run." I have a weakness when it comes to reading, I mean I can sit down with a book and read all day, or till I finish the book and most of the time that don't take all day, it can be a really bad habit, I have often found myself picking up the book I'm reading instead of doing my housework, cooking supper, or even listening to my kids, how terrible is that, but I am doing better, I guess what I'm trying to say is that my weakness for reading a good book, became something bad because it got in front of all the other things I needed to be doing.
How often have we let what others say or do affect the way we think or do things, My dad is a preacher, He is very well versed in the bible and I could just sit and listen to him all day, I mean I have learned alot from him over the years, but at some point I had to start learning things on my own, If all the bible I got was from him than would I be able to get from Gods word what He wanted me to have. Learning from my dad, our pastor, or Sunday school teacher is not a bad thing, not at all, but, we don' t need to let them form our thoughts for us. My sister and a few others I know, love to make lists and think that is the only way to get things done and while I agree that it works for them well it just ain' t for me and I shouldn't let those things shape me. Simple little things really, The way I choose to educate my children, we choose to homeschool because we felt it was Gods will for us to, we choose not to allow our children to watch certain things on t.v., not because we are spastic but because we are choosing rather to follow the Lord. I guess what i'm tryin to say is that it should be more important to me to please the Lord than to please man, and I was just really amazed at the simple way this man put it in this quote.
I saw read this and thought how guilty I am of doing those things, letting weaknesses become the norm, let what others say or do affect me and mine. God and His will for me should be the only thing guiding my life. I should live each day doing MY best for Him. What a peaceful life it it to live in His Grace.

1 comment:

Della said...

His strength is made perfect in our weakness! How true your words are!