Tuesday, September 9, 2008

We Made It!

Well we made through our first month of homeschooling, with A's in every subject!!
Abbie took her last test(math) today and she made a 96!!

The program that we are using for our homeschooling is a satellite program through an umbrella school here in our community. The satellite program is basically a private school at home. We have four subjects that is provide through the school and are given to us one unit at a time, when we finish a unit we go to the school and take a test over that subject. The umbrella school keeps up with the grades made on the test and workbooks. So that is my confusing explanation of this years homeschooling curriculum.

While this is not the ideal situation for me, I would love to have had alittle more freedom to choose what I wanted to teach, and the ways to teach it, this is the ideal way for us this year. My husband, you see, was more than a little skeptical of homeschooling and wanted to make sure that our daughter was going to learn every thing she needed to. I on the other hand was completely confident that she would learn everything and then some, So we had to meet in the middle and the satellite program was the middle.

Now I have hope that next year will be different and that I will get to have that little bit of extra freedom that I want. But for now I am very, very thankful that i am getting to homeschool. And I am getting to at least teach my way and all of our curriculum is christian based.

And I am very happy to report that even though Abbie and I have had our battles, we have also had a great deal of fun and excitement, I mean come on in what other school would your p.e. teacher let you chase the chickens that are constantly getting out.

2 comments:

Della said...

Yep, it's amazing what kids can learn through life experience! My kids need some exercise...maybe I should get some chickens too! :) So glad you're enjoying the homeschool life...there is nothing quite like it and the freedom it affords you! Be flexible and willing to change as you feel the Lord and your daughter lead you! Do what works for your family and , though not always smooth sailing, it will make the ride a little more enjoyable! Have a blessed day!

Joy said...

that is awesome!!!!she is one smart kid! I bet you were both thrilled! great job to both of you