Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Thorns

Last night, at our youth revival we have going on at church this week, the visiting preacher (A really wonderful man of God) Brought a message about preparing our self to answer the call God has for us. The first point he made, and the one that has stuck with me even today as I went about my housework and schooling, is this, Thorns. Now this wasn't the title of his first point but it was the jist of it. Jeremiah 4:3 talks about breaking up fallow ground and sow not among the thorns, Matthew 13 talks about the parable of the sower and how that some seeds fall among the thorns, Well what exactly are thorns? The cares of this world and the deceitfulness of riches.
He went on to say that many people(christians mainly) today have their lives entangled with thorns. How many times have the cares of this present world kept me from living a victory filled life? How often do I let troubles shake the faith I have in God? How many times do I sell Him, and His ability to work even in the midst of those troubles, short, and thus rob me of a blessing from Him? I often forget that God works best when He doesn't have to work around my messes.
How many times have I sat in church and allowed thorns to keep me from hearing what God has for me that day, in that message? How many times have thorns kept me from praying for someone who needs salvation, or for someone who is sick or hurting? How many times have thorns kept me from doing the work that He has set before me? How often do I allow thorns to keep me from putting my complete trust and belief in Him and in the plan that He has for me?
Thorns! They will choke the life out of us if we let them.
1 Peter 5:7 says, Cast all your cares upon Him; for He careth for you.
So what thorns are you battling today? No matter what they are, Our heavenly father wants us to cast all our cares upon Him, so give them to God today and begin anew in ground free from clutter and debrie.

Please remember our youth revival this week that God will move in the lives of people young and old alike and that we will have revival in our hearts and in our church long after this week is over.

3 comments:

Joy said...

Really hate that I missed that message! Glad it is on cd can't wait to hear it. I too become entangled in thorns. Great post
Joy

Joy said...

b my phone isnt working! want to go to town?
joy

Della said...

Sounds like a great message that I think we all could use!