Tuesday, July 8, 2008

A Tuesday full of Thoughts

Have you ever had one of those moments when the Lord says Hey straighten up!!, and you realize that you had fallen into some habits that didn't set a good, strong godly example to others. Well I must confess that I had recently fallen into some not so good habits, and I thought to share some of my thoughts to all ya'll here in blogland today on the habits I found myself in.

I read in the bible about Abraham, a righteous man and Lot, his nephew, who was more worldly minded. Now Lot followed Abraham until there was a fuss that came up and they decided to split. Now Abraham gave Lot the choice of which part of the land he wanted and the bible says that Lot cast his eyes toward Sodom. And while at first that might not have been bad, it didn't take long until Lot took his eyes off God, and we all know what happen after that. Things just got worse and worse for Lot and his family. You might be wandering where I am going with these thoughts and I am about to tell you, We all at times take our eyes off of God and our true purpose for being here on this earth, while we might not get as far away as Lot did, we are still far enough away for the devil to have an opening into our lives, and that my friend is dangerous.

I realized this week that I was slowly allowing things into my life ( changing my radio station to country instead of gospel, reading a book, that while it was a christian novel, it wasn't my bible,) that didn't strengthen my walk with the Lord but rather, it was weakening it. I cry as I sit here and write this because I am ashamed that I let such seemingly small things make a wedge in my fellowship with the Lord. Now I realize why God sent this message about Abraham and Lot to my pastor Sunday morning because He knew that I needed it. I am thankful that I realized what I was doing before I let these things get to strong of a hold. I Love the gentle way God brought me back to Him(before I had to take a real whooping).
There will always be a refining process to this christian life and that's OK with me, because that is what brings me closer to the one who gave His life for wretched old sinner like me.

I love the verses of scripture in Luke chapter 9, verses 23 and 24 that says "And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me. For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: but whosoever shall lose his life for my sake, the same shall save it. "
Matthew 16:26 says " For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?" Nothing in this world is worth losing the fellowship I have with God. I don't want to ever cast my eyes toward Sodom(the world) and lose sight of the Lord Jesus Christ just for a few worldly pleasures. Jesus gave so much for that I should be willing to give my life to Him. I know that this post is a little raw, but I just needed to share with these thoughts. I hope and pray that this will be a help to someone else out there in blogland today. Be sure to join me next Tuesday when I tell you my thoughts on Sunday nights message, It was just as revealing as this one!!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Amen. Turning my back on Sodom together with you. Thanks for sharing this great word of exhortation.

Leanne said...

I agree with you. The Lord has also showed me a few things to work on (with His help)also.
I sure am thankful he doesn't place more on us than we can bear. He reveals a few things that need to be changed and then when we get those under control he reveals a few more. I am so thankful He cares so much about us!

Joy said...

Good post! I do understand what you are talking about yes!

Westie-Girl said...

You are not alone...But we serve such a mighty God and He is always there to help us get back on track.
I want to share a new website with you and whoever else might be interested. It is a church in Ohio and they have a pretty good Youth Group. Listening to it sure has blessed me. It is: http://livingwordmb.com/youthgroupcd.html
Love you and can't wait till Saturday :-)