Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Wednesdays Wisdom

But be ye doers of the word and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.
James 1:22

How often have I read this verse and thought about what it says, And then just went on about my business. Well today this verse has been on my mind very much and I thought that I would say a few things about what it means to me.
It seems like the more I listen(or Read) to people talk about their walk with the Lord, I hear them say things like, I need to be more aware of the wrongs in my life, or I need to find more time for the things of God in my life, or How do I make more time for bible study or quiet time in my day, and even talk about what to study and how. And you know while all of these things are good and we do need to be more aware of them there comes a point and time when we need to "Just Do It". I am always saying "I really need to get my laundry caught up, or I need to clean out my storage building, but things don't get done on good intentions.
To me this verse of scripture is saying, do the things you read about, don't just hear them. I think we sometimes think that hearing them is enough and that in hearing them we are doing them, but I feel like it is then that we are deceiving our own selves. Hearing Gods word just isn't enough, we Have to do Gods word.
I spend so much time planing out my day and things I need to do that they never get done, I just hear myself talk about doing them. I waste more time trying to figure what I should do that I never get anything accomplished. I plan on planning, and I study about studying. Than it will finally get to the point that I will be so stressed out that I am no good to anyone.
So today I determine that I will be a doer and not just a hearer. Oh I agree that there are times that we need to be still and hear the things that God is trying to tell us, so I'm not saying to just run around like a chicken with its head cut off with no direction just so that we can say that we are doing something for the Lord, but I am saying that it is time we start to do the things we spend so much time talking about doing. If you need more quiet time with the Lord than just stop putting it off with the excuse that you have to much to get done and just do it, If you have things in your life that you need to get out of it , because you know they are hindering your fellowship with the Lord and you have just put off getting rid them because of your own selfish pleasure than today should be the day that you just get rid of it. There may not be anyone out there in blogland that needed this post today, but I can tell you that I sure did. It is time that I be about my Fathers business and I can't possibly be the mother, friend, or witness that I should be if I am only a hearer of Gods word. My prayer is that this post will help someone else today in the way that it has helped me.

1 comment:

Leanne said...

Amen! We all need to take that verse to heart!