Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Wednesdays Wisdom

.


I spent the day yesterday breaking beans with my dad and my grandpa, and we spent alot of the time reminiscing about all the old sayings that my papa has been known to say. Growing up in the south on a big ole farm there is always plenty of work to be done and as a child one of those jobs was chopping out tobacco patches, boy were we ever glad to see the end of every row. More often than not my grandpa (or papa as we call him) was always right there beside us and if we slowed down or took to long to get a drink of water, He would always say "We're burnin daylight,lets get after it." Oh how I hated hearing those words as a kid!! My family has always grown a big garden too and we can all of our vegetables, I can remember working in the garden, planting beans, diggin taters,(eatin maters when no one was lookin) and using that dreaded gooseneck hoe again, He would often say "You don't work you don't eat". That would always stop my complaining,(cause i love to eat). The point I'm trying to make is that when I was little these saying never really made much since, but now as an adult I can see that they really are wise words to live by. (And by the way I love my garden now and my old gooseneck hoe)

That is my dad and my papa along with two of my children and they are getting to learn first hand what it means to "Work all summer so you can eat all winter" (another famous quote) I can only pray that when they are grown that they will look back and see what papa was teaching them with all the wisdom of his old sayings. Now these are just a few of them, cause let me tell you I could type alot more, but then that would make this post really long. Think back to when you were a kid and see if you remember any old saying that you used to hear and then let me know what they are. Can't wait to read them!!

2 comments:

Joy said...

well I am thinking back and the only old saying that I know that there is truth in is "Don't hit your garden hoe against mine or we will be doing the same thing this same time next year" THAT WAS ALWAYS TRUE!! LOL

Leanne said...

I am really enjoying your blog. I can't think of any words of wisdom right now, but I am sure there were some. I guess that shows how well I listened. :-)